Does your patient suffer from persistent pain and their medication is not effective?
Do you have a poor understanding of the impact of your patient’s medication on their rehabilitation?
This online courses aims to help you, as health professionals, to better understand the influence of medication on your patient and what action you can take to help. This two-hour course offered by two pharmacists specialized in the fields of neuroscience and mental health will allow you to better understand the issues of mental health and/or persistent pain and help you adapt your intervention plan. The objective is to provide you with concrete tools to optimize your management and to better understand the classes of medication. Case histories will be presented to you.
- Impact of mental health problems
- Brief summary of the main classes of medications (anti-depressants/anti-psychotics/narcotics/sleep related medications), their effects, side effects and impact on function and rehabilitation
- Effects of medication in a rehabilitation setting
- Effects of medication on physical training
- Mechanisms of depression and the effect of anti-depressants.
- How collaboration between the pharmacist and the therapist can facilitate the rehabilitation of the client
- Knowing in which situation to refer the client to his pharmacist vs. physician
- Motivational interviewing
- The rebound effect of opioids