Interest in the non-surgical management of knee osteoarthritis has grown exponentially over the past several decades. In particular, there has been a significant increase in the amount of research being conducted on injection-based treatments for the management of osteoarthritis. As a result, recent evidence has put into question the use of certain injection-based treatments for the management of knee osteoarthritis.
This short course will provide an overview of the evidence for injection-based treatments for knee osteoarthritis (corticosteroid, hyaluronic acid, platelet-rich plasma and stem cell) and provide healthcare professionals with evidence-based recommendations to inform their clinical practice.
Points that will be covered in this webinar include:
- What is knee osteoarthritis
- Summary of core management strategies for knee osteoarthritis
- Corticosteroid injections
- Hyaluronic acid injections
- Platelet-rich-plasma injection
- Stem cell injections
- The following will be discussed for each type of injection
- Mechanisms of action
- Potential benefits and harms
- Limitations and potential treatment alternatives
At the end of this presentation, a question period is offered to allow participants to ask questions or present clinical cases to Anthony Teoli.